Dr. Howell Clark Analytical Chemistry Laboratory Dedicated
The Dr. Howell Clark Analytical Chemistry Laboratory was dedicated on Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 4 p.m. in Jesse D. Jones Hall on Murray State University’s campus. A large group including family, friends, colleagues, and former students of Dr. Clark were in attendance.
Clark is a 1986 recipient of the MSU Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award. Clark became the inaugural recipient of the Max Carman Award in 1980, in recognition of his outstanding teaching and mentoring of students. He was a professor in the department of chemistry at the university from 1963-86. He and his wife of 53 years, Rebecca, are longtime supporters of the university and have impacted hundreds of students with their generosity through scholarships.
Most recently, the Clarks have been significant donors to MSU’s comprehensive campaign, Hold Thy Banner High: The Campaign for the Students of Murray State University, including a charitable trust gift. This gift supports a chemistry scholarship endowment named in honor of the Clarks and provides perpetual funding for that scholarship.
The Howell and Rebecca Clark Scholarship is available to chemistry majors who aspire to a career as professional chemists or teachers of chemistry at the high school or collegiate level. To be eligible for the merit-based, renewable scholarship, students must have earned at least 50 semester hours of credit.
Also, the couple continues to provide additional scholarship awards to students and they currently sponsor two students majoring in chemistry.
A Calloway County native, Howell Clark graduated from Murray State in 1956. He obtained his master’s and doctoral degrees from Vanderbilt University in Nashville. Prior to beginning his teaching career in Murray, Clark worked for Shell Oil.
The Clarks have two children, Robert Van Clark and Susan Elise Mayfield.